Volvo FI help request

Ron Gregory rgregory at syty.org
Mon Jan 18 18:05:33 GMT 1999

I have a buddy with a FI Volvo (either '84 or '85), that is
acting up.  It will start fine, but about 30 seconds later,
it will start to pump black smoke everywhere...big-time rich.
He pulled plugs and they are wet and black...

He's replaced about everything I can think of...
air sensor, IAC(or whatever Volvo calls it),
fp regulator, temp sensor, O2 sensor,  etc.
He wasn't too sure how to test any of those
sensors, so he's just been using the
"I'll swap it to see if it gets better" method
of auto repair

He hasn't touched the ECM, injectors,
ignition module, or distributor.

Is there any sort of data stream coming out of the
ECM that we may be able to watch to get clues?
Will that ECM blink codes (a la Delco ECMs)?

Please respond directly.  I'm a digest subscriber, and I'm
sure most of the rest of the list couldn't care less...

Thanks,
Ron Gregory
rgregory at iname.com