ECU6 development help

Matt Beaubien mbeaubie at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Mon Jan 18 20:15:04 GMT 1999

Al,

I'd like to congratulate you for being one of the very few people who have
actually managed to create a diy_efi system and live to tell about it on
the list ;-).

I think the best way to help development of your system is to have the
electronics and software readily available so it's easy for many people to
build and try out.  Seeing as how the s/w is available, that leaves the
h/w.  How much work would it be to use an off-the-shelf single board
computer with a small interface box to provide the same functionality?
 This way, there's a much better chance of people assembling the parts
they need and getting it to actually work.  If there isn't much glue
circuitry needed between the SBC and engine, it could even be done without
a PCB, greatly simplifying things.

Looking a bit further out, would it be possible to port it to a PIC, or
are they not powerful enough?  A PIC could reduce the amount of support
circuitry and potentially lower construction costs.

As far as the current circuit goes, how hard would it be to convert the
injector driver to allow for multiport, batch-fired setup?  I will have a
1200cc Honda running in the "near future" with a Haltech system so I would
have the ability to compare the two systems.  I could even help out with
the programming, if it's still in BASIC ;-).

Good work.

Matt Beaubien
mbeaubie at ualberta.ca
Edmonton, Alberta