Anyone try the Speed-Pro ECU?

life speed life_speed at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 23:26:27 GMT 1999

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this list, but not to hotrodding.

I'm currently in the market for an ECU for my boat. I run a twin-turbo,
intercooled 454 Chevy. Airresearch wastegates, Rajay turbos. It's an old
Dunsmore motor.

I need better control of ignition timing and turbo boost. Down the road,
I'll certainly add fuel injection.

So, what computers are best suited for the job, and most
flexible/programmable? Some I've looked at are Haltech, Speed-Pro,
Motec, and Electromotive.

One of the most important requirements, I think, would be ECU code
stored in Flash so you could take advantage of future updates
downloadable over serial cable.

Other features I would like:

Wide-band O2 sensor. (Is Speed-Pro the only one who offers this?) Yes, I
know I can live without it, but why?

Control of two injectors per cylinder. Great for water injection, or
high-octane race fuel under high boost conditions.

I would like some method of adjusting for pump gas/7psi boost or race
fuel/15 psi boost conditions. It would be ideal if I could do this
_without_ a laptop. This may be a matter of implementation. For example,
I understand the Haltech unit has two mappable outputs, and you can
trim-pot between the two to get a dashboard-adjustable dial to
interpolate between the "Race" and "pump" boost maps. Any ideas?

Detonation sensor input. Again, not absolutely necessary, but why
shouldn't I employ one?

Outputs for wastegate control. I think they all have this.

Crank trigger direct-ignition compatible. Probably a given.

The more modern the ECU, the further from obsolescence, and the longer
the lifespan I should see from it. I would appreciate any info on
internal hardware of the various ECU mfg's as well. It would be nice to
know how much "horsepower" the little computers have. Could be a
reasonable indication of their capabilities, as well.

Thanks in advance for the info.

-Lifespeed