Pingin'

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Tue Jan 19 03:42:43 GMT 1999

>Speaking of multi fuel motors--lemme mention the old Scout 800 short cab
>used to have, with a 196 cid four, with the (supposedly) export only
>pistons and head--6.5 : 1 compression, but a REALLY sweet combustion
>chamber design--guess it was designed to run on Pemex' (Mexico's)
worst!!
>It's favorite fuel mixture was  70% #2 diesel/ 30% unleaded regular. Ran
>like STINK on it!! (Kinda always made me wonder how much boost it
wouldda
>stood----!! (On decent fuel!)
>
>Regards, Greg

I have some experience with Pemex.  We drove out Jeep Grand Waggoneer
(from Detroit) to Mexico.  The freshly rebuilt engine ran great on the
way down, but kept getting worse and worse in Mexico.  Our Mexican
friends (who own an auto parts store and engine rebuilding shop) helped
us fix it up.  After all of that, getting another tank of Pemex (perhaps
with a lower water content?) made it run a lot better.  Once we got a
tank of gas at El Paso, it really improved, and got better with each tank
full.

That was with a carburater.  Now, it is injected and runs better than
ever.  I have a quart-sized filter/sediment bulb assembly that I'm going
to install before going down there again, though.  No telling what kind
of crud is in that stuff, and I surely don't want any in my injecters.