Converting vane type airflow meter to MAF

Brian Franchuk Brian.Franchuk at drizzle.mm.com
Wed Jan 20 02:13:11 GMT 1999

I just joined this list a couple days ago so I applogize if this is a
repeat question.  I am trying to determine the feasibility of
converting the vane type airflow meter in my 88 BMW 535i to a MAF
system.  My main reasons for doing this are the increased airflow to
the engine (more HP) and the reliability (no moving parts).  My
questions are:

1) Are my assumptions above correct?

2) How difficult is this conversion to do?  I am an embedded systems
   programmer so the software isn't really a problem.  What I really
   need to know is how complex is the conversion algorithm?  Do I
   need to add a MAP or a trottle position sensor?

3) Are there any books you can recommend for this type of project?

4) Is there is good "hobbyist" MAF out there that will fit well to
   this engine (3.5l ~6600 RPM ~220 HP).  I can deal with voltage or
   pulse output.  I was thinking of using a sensor from a 5.0 l
   Mustang since it would be easy to find a replacement if necessary.

Thanks.

Brian Franchuk