Converting vane type airflow meter to MAF

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Wed Jan 20 16:30:30 GMT 1999

-> repeat question.  I am trying to determine the feasibility of
-> converting the vane type airflow meter in my 88 BMW 535i to a MAF
-> system.  My main reasons for doing this are the increased airflow to
-> the engine (more HP) and the reliability (no moving parts).

 I had the opportunity to pick through a pallet full of used Bosch and
Japanese vane air meters recently.  I noticed all of them had much
stiffer springs on the vane than I had expected from the descriptions in
the service manuals.  The meter I pulled off a running Supra was also
quite stiff.

 For part throttle the restriction from the air meter probably isn't an
issue, but I'm curious as to how much restriction a normal OEM vane air
meter has at wide open throttle.

 If your BMW is running, how about putting a vacuum guage downstream of
the meter and doing a few full-throttle runs with it?   Most OEM carb
setups will pull two to three inches of mercury at red line at full
throttle, in my experience.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?