ECU6 EFI system construction

Al Lipper alipper at cardozo.org
Wed Jan 20 19:27:26 GMT 1999

You folks have some good points about using an off-the-shelf processor board
rather than re-inventing one.  In fact, this is the way the last version of
ECU6 was built.  The current ECU6 processor board has already been designed and
built (I've been using one for over a year now).  The reason I didn't stick
with an off the shelf unit was 1) It didn't have the flexibility to incorporate
things like a Watchdog-timer reset, flash memory and battery-backed RAM in as
neat a way as I was looking for (at least not at the right price).  I really
tried to make it work this way, and eventually gave in to the fact that it
really wasn't much tougher to add the CPU and support components than to just
build the interface stuff on a PC board.  Not to say there isn't a board out
there which really will do the trick cheaply, but just a note on my personal
experience with it.  In either case, any help people can offer is great -
especially with programming.

                                Al