FW: Electronic timing advance

HADJIASLANIS ARIS 1260 800 aris at exmail.panafon.gr
Thu Jan 21 09:12:28 GMT 1999

Yes  Todd!
This is really EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! I believe this device
will more than serve my needs in all aspects, e.g. size & volume,
adaptability and cost.
Thank a lot for the lead!
Regards,
Aris

 ----------
From: todd israels
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: FW: Electronic timing advance
Date: 17 January 1999 19:32

At 12:11 PM 1/17/99 +0200, you wrote:
> [...]
>ignition advance / retard mapping unit between the optical interruptor
>output and the ignition unit.
>
>Hmmmm after looking in the WWW for ages I have been unable to locate
>such a unit devoid of other frills or compromises (e.g. just turbo or
>Nitrous Oxide retard which really is quite different from what I need).
>
>My original posting to which you replied most kindly was ...
>"... 3. Feed the optical pick up output to a digital advance / retard
>unit
>implementing a simple, programmable advance curve capable of at least
16
>sites.
>4. Optionally add an imput for a detonation sensor to provide a few
>degrees of detonation induced retard.
>5. The unit should just provide an output emulating a normal contact
>breaker, to drive a separate high energy electronic ignition unit
>(already fitted in my car)...."
>
>Any ideas will be highly appreciated.
>
>Regards
>Aris
> ----------
>From: HADJIASLANIS ARIS 1260 800
>To: diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu
>Subject: Electronic timing advance
>Date: 09 January 1999 23:48
>
>Matt, Bruce & Robert thank you very much. I will use your interesting
>inputs to begin assembling a viable solution to my DINO engine problem.
>I guess I will start looking for the web sites of Allison, Crane
>Camshafts, Holley & MSD.
>
>Bruce, can you pls provide info about the Australian DIY kits you
>mention in your reply. Concerning the diy_efi web page and project
>332EFI, I am aware of it but at this instant I have too litlle time to
>get involved so deeply!
>
>Regards
>
>Aris
> ----------
>From: Matt Beaubien
>To: diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu
>Subject: Electronic timing advance
>Date: 08 January 1999 23:28
>
>Bruce,
>
>> >The requirements are relatively simple:
>> >1. Replace the existing twin contact breakers with an optical pick
up
>> >arranged to fire every 60 degrees.
>>
>> Crane Camshafts in Florida, USA, makes a universal optical ignition.
>>
>> >2. Disable the original advance / retard mechanism.
>> >3. Feed the optical pick up output to a digital advance / retard
unit
>> >implementing a simple, programmable advance curve capable of at
least
>16
>> >sites.
>>
>> Commercially MSD, Holley make said units,  kits are available from
>> Australia, for a DIY.  Use the optics to trigger a oem ecm, and just
>> use the ignition part of that.  If you want to do a total DIY visit
>332EFI,
>> you can get there off the diy_efi home page.
>
>The Accel 49340 (IIRC) allows what the orginal poster is looking for.
It
>has adjustable vacuum/boost advance/retard as well as a N20 input. It
>may
>require a magnetic reluctor-type signal to function though.
>
>I don't think MSD makes something similar (you can only adjust the
slope
>and max advance as far as I know), and I'm not too familiar with the
>Holley stuff. The Accel piece is ~$150-$200.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Matt.

     I came across a device that might suite your purpose but didnt
notice
boost retard.  I have not had a chance to try this yet.

try this address:   http://www.picnpoke.com/projects/ignition.html

I looked in help(Eudora Light) but couldent see how to add this as a
link