water injection But preturbo

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sat Jan 23 00:52:30 GMT 1999

>Don't know if they still do but B-52's used to inject water into their
>exhaust on take-off for a much needed boost when fully laden.

Well, yeah, but really, it was injected right about at the combustor--so
they could burn more fuel without melting stuff, and make LOTS more power,
but not too efficiently. Early 707's did the same thing. I think that
turbo-fan engines (which are essentially a turbo-prop with a ducted
propellor) superceded the need to do this.

Regards, Greg