DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Sat Jan 23 03:25:11 GMT 1999

Clarence Wood wrote:

>   Please give more information on "motor-vac".  How does it work?  How much does it cost?  Where do you get it?
>
> Thanks,
> Clarence
>
> At 06:40 PM 1/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
> (snip)>I don't know if it acts as a sponge or what, but the presence / absence
> >of carbon on the intake valves makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in
> >driveability. The 3.0 litre V6 in my aerostar had a BAD stumble off idle
> >when partly warmed up - to the point that on a cold day if I fired it up
> >and drove to the corner down the street it would invariably stall when
> >pulling away unless I floored it. Tried everything. Finally used a
> >"motor-vac" on it, which does an excellent job of decarbonizing - and
> >it's been perfect since.

It is a fuel system / engine cleaner unit that connects to the car and
draws a calibrated amount of fuel into  itself. You add a very
concentrated cleaner to the gas, which is then tun through the system,
from the filter forward under pressure. You run the engine through a
cycle with this beasy connected and the intake valves, cyls, lines, and
injectors are clean enough you couls eat off of them. I was a doubter
myself 'till my brother called me and said they needed a guinea pig for
the distributor to demonstrate the gizmo on - and knowing my AeroScare
was misbehaving, and he could not fix it.
Never know it was the same truck.
The unit is expensive - several thousand if I remember correctly, and my
brother has not bought one - yet. Apparently they are also "rotunda"
branded and sold to Ford dealers - and sold under several other brand
names. About the same size as an antifreeze recycler or bar fridge.