Carbon pistons?.

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 23 04:36:35 GMT 1999

> Anyone have any idea what a set of these things would cost?
> :P
> Ben
>
> On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Bruce Plecan wrote:
>
> > If anyone wants to buy me a couple sets, I'll report the results,
> > Cheers
> > Bruce        Doc has already got the ceramic glazing paint
> >                   chart out.   He thinks carbon fiber, ceramics
> >                   composites are all the same thing (all the c's
> >                   confuse the little guy)
> >
> > >http://nctn.hq.nasa.gov/innovation/Innovation54/complic.htm.

I was working on NASA and DARPA star war projects in late
eighties.  Main research was net shape high temperature materials
Would grow SiC,  BN, diamonds and diamond like carbon and
carbon metalics.  The purpose was to grow these materials on desired
shape graphite mandrels for spaced base weapons to avoid machining.
Feasible to grow a piston, or use these materials as coatings.
A pure SiC piston would take 3-4 weeks of growth using H2 gas
and methyltrichloridesilane at 20 Torr and 1400 C.
For more info. check Morton International Advanced Materials
Dr. Raymond Taylor or Hemmit Desai
alex