Av gas(was: DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths)

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Sat Jan 23 19:12:05 GMT 1999

<< > can't even buy
 > >it to use in a race-car.
 >  >>
We used to run it in flattrack bikes, Triumph Hemi with 12.5 to on Hepolite
pistons. ran good, didn't ping, but tried it in a two stroke and lost most of
the power, most of the paint off the expansion chamber and threw flames out
the end of the pipe. Outboard racers told me they had experienced it to.A
frind of mine held several records and ran the lowest octane that didn't hurt
the pistons. Avgas is too slow burning for anything we do. Also remember that
Av motors are slow rpm, so slow buring fuel is used to push the entire
stroke.Unless the motor has a lot of compression, and pings, don't bother.
Besides, the 115/145 Avgas is long gone as I recall.
Fred