PROMs and Copyrights...

Ord Millar ord at aei.ca
Sun Jan 24 15:39:58 GMT 1999

I recently read something posted by an aftermarket developer who claimed
that it was illegal to distribute parts of the original code on his chips.
His solution was to only override some parts (mostly data values), and let
the untouched parts run from the ECU's EEPROM.

I would guess that it depends on whether or not I already had a factory ECU
with the same code in it.

Would Hypertech have been allowed to sell chips with copies of GM code to
people who didn't already have GM ECUs with the same code in them?  (Kind of
moot, since no one else would normally want it).

I remember hearing about a copyright case a while ago (but for PC software),
where the deciding issue ended up being the percentage of bytes that were
different from the original.

Ord