Switch Pitch TH-400 (was something else)

Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com
Tue Jan 26 16:38:25 GMT 1999

If you don't mind I,ll pop in with my experience with my 82 Trans Am Turbo
350C  with lock up converter.  A lock up converter will
fit on a regular turbo hydro but it wont operate in the lock up mode because
the 350C Trans has a small shaft inside the main
splined shaft. The ECM sends voltage to a solenoid in the Trans and the
solenoid applies fluid to the small shaft pushing it out.
I cut the converter open to see how the lock up worked and found the shaft
pushes a drum with friction material on the outer
edge of the drum against the converter housing that is bolted to the
flywheel causing a lock up. The switch pitch converter has
a stator with the fins on pins that can rotate a fixed amount. Normal pitch
would be say 17 degrees. When you mash the throttle and hit the microswitch
a solenoid in the Trans puts fluid into the hollow input shaft into a
passage in the converter and into the stator
this moves the fins to a 30 degree pitch causing more torque multiplication.
At cruising speed you go back to the 17 degree pitch to save gas. I don't
know if the upshift dropped out the fluid to get back to the 17 degree or
not. Please note the degrees of pitch are for example only I don't recall
the exact numbers.                Don