Switch Pitch

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Tue Jan 26 21:01:36 GMT 1999

Reducing pumping losses at cruise is a key element in improving fuel
economy.  Some tricks like V-8,6,4 were complicated and had many control
problems.  Taller gearing achieved some improvements but dropping cruise rpm
into the slip range of torque converters negated much of the improvements.
At first, reducing converter stall speed was used but performance really
suffered.  The next development was a TCC which permitted a higher stall
speed when needed but little or no slip during cruise.  Once TCCs were
available, overdrive automatics could be used to improve economy even more.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>