Switch Pitch TH-400 (was something else)

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Wed Jan 27 04:04:24 GMT 1999

Gwyn Reedy wrote:

> Was under the impression that you can't put a locking torque converter on a
> TH-350 or 400 because there is some kind of mechanical device (rod or
> sleeve) that is in the trans and activates the locking of the clutches in
> the converter. Seems like it would have to be that or else some kind of slip
> rings to get electricity into the converter to lock an electrical clutch.

There are lockup versions of the 350 and 400 (I think) depending upon the year
(late model). There were also some versions with very low stall converters for
better mileage. If you need OD, the only reasonable choice is the 4L80 (or the
700R4 for less than 450 HP or so, some even recommend the 200. They are all
lockup standard but can be fixed to run with a non-lockup converter.
Regards  Tom