DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths

James Ballenger ballengerj at sprynet.com
Wed Jan 27 06:39:55 GMT 1999

Greg Hermann wrote:

> Did the rear have a crush sleeve for preload, or positive shims?? The
> latter is a lot harder to do that to, conversions are usually available.

    I never even bothered to pull out the pinion to look.  The was like .75" of
play at the driveshaft side of the thing, it made me sick.  I figured out why
it all happened now though.

    The previous owner got the VR TH-400 and swapped it in, but the tranny
musta been 1" or more longer than the previous tranny.  When I got the car, the
tranny mount wasn't bolted down and the threads were stripped.  So I put a bolt
on the other side and bolted the thing down, I didn't even think about it.  I
figured the last guy just forgot or something.  Soon after my rear end went.
So I guess that the driveshaft  would buckle enough at the tailshaft and
u-joints to soften the blow at the pinion.  When I bolted it down, it must have
just pounded the poor rear into oblivion.  And I thought I was doing myself a
favor by hooking up the mount, damn.

James Ballenger