DFI, Batch Fire, and other myths

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Wed Jan 27 21:36:35 GMT 1999

>The way I know, the crush sleeve is only used to hold the inner bearing
>races against the pinion gear to keep the races from rotating relative to
>the pinion.  It doesn't take any gear loads.  You could remove the crush
>sleeve and loctite the inner races to the pinion.
>
>Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>

Yes, you are right that it does not take any gear loads, Gary. But if you
put a really impressive torque on the flange nut, you will get excessive
pre-load on the bearings. I prefer the concept of pre-stressing the pinion
shaft in tension between the two bearing against a solid shim. Plus, if you
put any intermittent (stray) axial load against the flange (as this guy did
with a too long drive shaft), the sleeve will get loose pretty quickly.

Basically, I HATE them, think they a production shortcut, and that their
only redeeming social value is cost savings, and that they should be
removed at the first opportunity. Most serious racers would agree with my
position, I think!!

Regards, Greg