Switch Pitch

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Thu Jan 28 00:31:53 GMT 1999

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Greg Hermann wrote:

> IIRC--The DF used a five element converter--pump, turbine, and three
> stators, do not recall any switch pitch being involved. Again, IIRC, the
> tranny was 2 forward, 1 reverse,

If you put it in drive, it started in high gear [1 to 1 ratio] and didnt
shift. There was a low range, which was for "emergencies" and was engaged
by shifting into low. No DF started in low then shifted to high like a 2
speed.

 with a LOT of similarities to the Chebby
> Power Glide. At the beginning, (late '40's) I think the only difference
> between a Dyna Flow and a Power Glide was the name.

There is about a 70 pound weight difference to start with...early PGs
didnt shift, they changed them about 1953 to start in low then upshift to
high gear, the same time that they changed to a 3 element convertor.