Switch Pitch

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Thu Jan 28 01:56:34 GMT 1999

-> I heard once that the dynaflow lacked torque multiplication, and was
-> very high revving and noisy.  If I can remember, I'll try to dig out
-> a manual for it when I get back to my reference library.

 A friend had a '57 Buick with a 364? V8 back when we were in high
school.  It had the Dynaflow.  The car wasn't very fast off the line,
not as fast as a '56 Chevy with a 283 and Powerglide, but once it got
rolling, it felt pretty ordinary.

 After Ron put glasspacks on it, it was very strange.  The engine would
rev up when you pushed down on the pedal (the starter switch was built
into the gas pedal, btw) and just sit at a pretty constant RPM while the
car accelerated.  It did it before, but it wasn't as obvious with the
quiet mufflers.  It was a lot like a CVT.