Switch pitch, or cubic Buicks

espace talltom at effectnet.com
Thu Jan 28 09:29:02 GMT 1999

> From: bearbvd at sni.net (Greg Hermann)
> Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:23:43 -0700
> Subject: RE: Switch Pitch
>
> >On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Gwyn Reedy wrote:
> >
> >> By the way, toward the end of the DynaFlow era, how many vane positions
> >> could the converter be set to? Three at least. Or was it some kind of
> >> infinitely variable position?

They were infinitely variable, I know, I took one apart(READ UNBOLTED IT) and I
think the stator is still in the basement.

   For the guys with wives nagging about all the auto parts you're hoarding, I took that
apart in 1967, and there's pieces still in the basement. So you can probably say you're better
than
some.:-)

> From: Shannen Durphey <shannen at grolen.com>
> Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:25:57 -0500
> Subject: Re: Switch Pitch
>
> I heard once that the dynaflow lacked torque multiplication, and was
> very high revving and noisy.

Well I think they have torque multiplication, and they don't make near as much noise as
a bunch of Fords and Chevys with severe axle hop pounding their slicks up and down
and throwing ring gear pieces for blocks. It doesn't really matter much though, not a
one of them ever caught up with me to compare sound. Fas as the "high reving" goes,
hehehe, let's just say that a LOT of people have learned the hard way that 3500rpm
stall speed on a stock 59 LeSabre is tough to beat. In fact, I used to have my engine
OFF when everybody else was staging at the light, I cam out of the parking spot so hard
that I had to get a length on them in less than 50' and get their lane or wreck, well it
never failed. Burned up 7 trannies, but NEVER got beat off the line.
Anyhow, like I say, I think there's some torque multiplication there. Bye the way,
Corky Bell's dad won a whole display case full of trophies with a similar setup.
He sells switch pitch kits to this day far as I know.(I built one 15 years ago.)