<all> home dyno kit??

Orin Eman orin at wolfenet.com
Thu Jan 28 19:07:49 GMT 1999

> At 08:24 AM 1/28/99 -0500, Dan Llewellyn2 wrote:

> >level ground.  At least were I live, level stretches of road where
> >you can get up to speed are rare.  If they incorporated the data
> >from a G-field measuring device, like an Analog Digital ADXL05,
> >you could calculate horsepower even if the road was not level.

Yes, but you still need the speed input since the accelerometer
cannot tell the difference between acceleration and gravity...
As far as the horsepower calculation is concerned, you would
use the acceleration from the accelerometer and the speed from
another sensor...  The calculation (being mass * velocity * acceleration)
doesn't care whether the acceleration is due to gravity (going
uphill) or increase in speed.

> One thing I was gonna mention is the Analog Devices ADXL202, a
> second generation, 2 axis +/- 5g accelerometer. It's even easier

I looked at it when it first came out and the specs didn't look
very good to me.  It's bad enough getting .01g resolution out
of an ADXL05 with any reasonable bandwith and the 202 looked worse to me.

Orin.