Subject: Re: 2:1 Internal & Spur Gear

Ken Mayer mayerk at idt.net
Fri Jan 29 03:52:35 GMT 1999

> From: Dan Llewellyn2 <DanLlwln at ix.netcom.com>
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:13:37 -0500
>
> I just need the single gear to gear ratio - it won't be a planetarysetup.  I
> have already tried Browning, Boston, and a few others,
> but their highest capacity stock gears are 5/16" face, straight cut,
> and only good for a few horsepower.  I got a few quotes on
> custom gears, but each quote was over $1,000 per gear (!).
>
> I thought that if I could find some stock auto/truck gears that had the 2:1
> ratio and meshed,  I could go to a junk yard or transmission shop
> and pick some up inexpensively.  I have a GM350 internal gear with
> 66 teeth that only cost $10 - just don't have the matching spur gear.
> Of course I am open to any other set that would work too.

Do you know what the diametrical pitch of the gear is?  If you can get
access to a milling machine and rotary table (or dividing head), you can
easily cut a spur gear.  Cutters will be in the $40-60 range.  If you can
turn a blank on a lathe, a machine shop that specializes in gear cutting
might be able to cut it for cheap on their gear hobbing machine.  If
you're near NYC, try Madison Gear & Sprocket in Hawthorne, NJ (973 area
code).  Also, try posting to rec.crafts.metalworking- someone there might
be able to make the gear.

Ken
:-)