More DFI q's...

Matt Beaubien mbeaubie at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Fri Jan 29 09:01:29 GMT 1999

Stuart,

> I agree.... Although no two engines are the same it sure does help to
> compare maps from different configurations. It sure helps when you are
> starting from scratch.
> I am willing to setup such a page if anyone is interested in the idea and
> interested in sending me the data to compile such a page.

I'll send you the map of this supercharged Ford when everything gets all
wrapped up.  The full throttle stuff will be ok, as well as some of the
lower speed part throttle points, but that's about it as it's mainly a drag
car...

For those who are following along/interested, we had a interesting dyno
session with the 302 Ford tonight.  While looking over the Superflow
printouts, I noticed that the manifold pressure was given in " Hg, not psi.
So, we weren't running 21 psi the other day, it was more like 10 psi.  Also,
we found an extra 100 HP tonight without really trying.  It turns out the
blow-off valve was relieving itself, letting out a bunch of the precious
air.  After correcting the BOV problem, HP hit 800 with 13 psi and 6300 RPM
before the BOV relieved again.  Torque still hadn't peaked and I've still
only corrected glaring errors in the fuel map, and the timing is a
conservative 20ish degrees...  Wait till the thing is leaned out (EGT's
still below 1200), temps balanced through trim (200 degree spread with Hogan
sheetmetal manifold), and the spark smartened up...

I have a couple of questions still for those familiar with the DFI.  While
using the lame data logging (15 sec max interval), I had it log the base
fuel PW, the additive correction, the multiplicative correction, and
the gross PW.  The additive and mult correction stayed at zero the entire
time (even during TPS transients) but the gross PW varied.  Some times it
was even less than the base PW.  I looked through the maps and couldn't find
any that would take away from the base PW so I'm a little confused.  Can
anyone shed any light?

Thanks for everyones help.

Matt Beaubien
mbeaubie at ualberta.ca