Anyone trigger a electronic IG module with points?

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Fri Jan 29 21:35:08 GMT 1999

>Hi all, I have some old tractors/trucks and such that I would like to convert
>to electronic IG.  Mostly because since they are limited use, the plugs tend
>to carbon foul.
>
>I would like to keep the points intact and just wire up the module and
>realated parts. I could convert the dist to a pick up coil and such but would
>rather not.
>
>I'm thinking of a high ohm resistor from 12 V to the points.  Then tap the +
>pickup coil input on the IG module to the points.  I would rather use somthing
>common like a GM 4 pin/ Chrysler 5 pin/ or a Ford Duraspark.  The Ford 3 pin
>dist mounted TFI looks good as well.
>

>Thanks for the help.

Years ago, Delta Products, from Grand Junction, CO , used to make a CD
ignition box--available either assembled or in kit form--- that used the
points for a trigger. One of the tricks was that you had to keep the
current thru the points high enough to keep them clean. With you resistor
approach, that would not be the case. Dunno whatever happened to Delta, or
if there is anything like their system around now. It was a fine ignition.
It even had a switch so you could go back to standard points ignition if
the electronics screwed up somewhere "inconvenient".

Regards, Greg