Cubic Dollars

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Sat Jan 30 04:00:12 GMT 1999

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:42:20 -0800 Mitch <mitcho at netcom.com> writes:
>At 12:59 PM 1/28/99 -0700, Greg Hermann wrote:
>>
>>OK --this is what I was talking about--does anybody know what you gotta
do
>>to "register" a copyright??
>>
>>I freely admit to being WAY out of date on this, but it would seem that
>>they cannot sue you over it if they have not registered it.

They can register it first, then sue you.  It doesn't have to be
registered at the time of the offence, just at the time of the suit.

If you want to protect something that you wrote, put a copyright notice
on it and do something that will prove that it was written before such
and such a date.  Mailing it to yourself is a common method.  When you
find that your idea has been stolen, register the copyright, then let the
process server pay him a visit.  On your day in court, take the
still-sealed letter to court and open it in front of a bunch of
witnesses.

Ray