Saab 900T AMM (MAF) Swap

bjanesi at juno.com bjanesi at juno.com
Tue Jul 13 00:51:33 GMT 1999

I've been off this list for some time, but have jumped back on now that
I'm in the middle of a project that has some relevance.

Specifically, I'm trying to replace the stock Bosch VAF meter in a Merkur
XR4Ti (2.3L Ford Turbo) with the MAF (AMM in Saab verbiage) meter from a
'86 Saab 900T (16v 2.0L Turbo).

My initial thoughts were that I might get lucky and have a plug-n-play
swap (with a little electrical work) since the intake consumptions are
fairly close.  Even though the Saab MAF has an adjustment screw (What
specifically does it adjust?), now I'm thinking this is still not likely
since I'm hearing the output curves are different between a MAF and VAF.

But before I get that far, I still need to define the 6 circuits on the
MAF, and their input/output ranges.  I have the schematic, but it only
tells me where everything goes.  The 4 circuits that route to the PCM (LH
Jetronic) are still a question mark.  If I had the whole running car
(rather than just the MAF), I'd figure it all out in 30 minutes.

Anyone care to comment or provide some insight?

Thanks,

Brad Anesi
'88 XR4Ti 5-speed
...and some other assorted German & Italian hardware  ...but no Swedes