Dumpster Divers - starters

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Thu Jul 22 03:51:47 GMT 1999

All you DDs out there, keep your eyes open for the best GM starter ever
made. There is the Corvette starter, ok but... There are three versions
of today's small motor (w/ permanent magnets) starter.
1. - standard 4-V6 starter, 2. - same starter with the big nose from the
4.3 V6 (and 350, I think), and 3. - the same starter with an in-line
gear reduction unit from heavy duty S10 4WD w/ 4.3 V6. It is longer and
looks like a shrunk 350 Diesel starter.  It will start anything
including pro-stock motors. It starts my buddys 16/1CR  430 alcohol SBC
easily.

I got mine from the local GM dealer for a $20 core charge. It seems they
are noisey and often replaced under warranty.   Good hunting -- I'll
take ten more if you can find them... Tom