double flares

steve ravet Steve.Ravet at arm.com
Thu Jul 29 20:18:19 GMT 1999

> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:10:32 -0400
> From: Bill Shaw <bshaw at connix.com>
> Subject: FI Fuel Lines
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm in the process of plumbing the fuel system for my Fiat FI conversion.  I ran across a term in the
> archives I'm not familiar with concerning making steel fuel lines:  double flare.  Can someone explain
> what a double flare is and how to do it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bill Shaw
>
> ------------------------------

Double flare is when the metal is folded down into the flare.  Think of
a single flare with a collar.  If you cut the tube down the length it
would look like this:

single flare
  \
   \_________
    _________
   /
  /

double flare

  |\
   \\_______
     _______
   //
  |/

The metal flares out, then doubles over inside the flare.  The tool is
expensive, and it's fairly difficult to get right.  You create a
"bubble" at the end of the line with "tool A", then cave it in to make
the double flare with a regular flaring tool.  I've been buying
pre-flared tubing at Napa, and bending it as necessary.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com