To Todd

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Wed Jun 2 00:17:18 GMT 1999

The basecoat/clearcoat paints I have used require the clear to be painted
within 24 hrs of the base.  This made painting flames a 24 hr marathon.
Paint yellow base, wait 4 hrs, mask flames for 8 hrs, paint red base,
unmask, paint clear.

The base and clear coats chemically bond together.  If you wait a week, you
have to sand the whole thing and reapply some more base.  If you are just
painting some clear on top of regular paint, you still have to sand it
before the clear otherwise the clear won't stick.

The solvents in paint should flash off between coats but the paint should
not cure.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>