Prowler V6 now ESB

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Jun 2 19:26:31 GMT 1999

Jim Davies wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Shannen Durphey wrote:
>
> > Pre 67, small journal, small block v8 were all forged cranks.
>
> GM listed, and I have seen both cast and forged ESB cranks. FWIW, GM had
> two main block castings, a 283 and 327 type. Some 283s started out as 327
> castings, with the block reliefs for the 3.25 stroke crank.
Never seen it, doesn't mean it's not so.  Seems like different parts
of the country had different "standard parts" in the engines.  Fer
example, lotsa 4 bolt 350s in MT, not so many in MA.
I have a cast 283 crank in my EFI'd 302.  It's from a 67 though.
Funny stuff in 67, spin on filters, no internal vent canister, no
machining for crankcase vent tube, but only on some engines.  I don't
know what the connection is, except maybe California emissions.
I've seen the notched 283 engines.  I can identify the source of one
as a GMC truck.
Sorry, back to EFI...
Shannen