OBD2 problems

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Jun 3 03:31:27 GMT 1999

| Whoever has knowledge of this stuff may want to contact me offlist.  I
have
| alot of dumb questions that are probably below your intelligence levels
and
| I don't want to clog up the list with too much "entry-level" chatter.

Lots of guys start with "entry level chatter".  Gotta get info to even ask
questions.
The archives is an excellent resource of material.  If your really new to
efi, just start at archive 1, and start reading.  I've gotten to downloading
them and editing them into a format that I like, and read them all the time,
at home.

snip

| 1) Someone with emissions knowledge; what do they check and is it all ok
if
| it passes the sniffer?  Or does it have to be a certain configuration?
| Certain hardware intact?

It varies some by location, you might investigate what is being done in your
state or where you plan on moving to.

| 2) Since Iive where they don't check, does that mean that I have free
reign,
| or is it still illegal but no-one checks?

IT's illegal by the fed EPA to alter a vehicles emissions..  Just not
policed yet, the feds hold highway funds to get the states to enforce the
fed law.  As I understand it all.

| 3) Is there maybe an OBD2 computer that will easily support that much HP?
| want overkill, not just squeezing out 642hp.  I may want to add nitrous or
| blower later.

Given enough time and money you "could" make a OBDII computer pretty dumb.

| 4) Is "emissions legal" as easy as using "street legal" or CARB approved
| parts?

Generally CARB sets the level for what is accepted, other than oem.

| What I really need is someone to take my hand and walk me through this.
My
| main problem is this:  I can take my parts to the machine shop and get
what
| I want and I can build the engine to support the HP.  But, if I take it to
| my "EFI guy" and he says that its not set up to best use the EFI he had in
| mind, then I have already failed in tailoring all the parts together.  I
| want to know enough that I can make accurate plans to make compatible
| systems work best.  It can make the difference between a few extra HP and
| detonated engine.  Thanks

IMHO, making 600HP smog legally can be done, but gets expensive,
My vote is finding something lighter and settling for fewer HP..
Doc