OBD2 problems

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Jun 3 04:57:57 GMT 1999

Roger Heflin wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Curtis Mittong wrote:
>
> > Whoever has knowledge of this stuff may want to contact me offlist.  I have
> > alot of dumb questions that are probably below your intelligence levels and
> > I don't want to clog up the list with too much "entry-level" chatter.
> >
> > Background:  I have a 96 Impala SS.  I plan on making the LT1 into a 409
> > (4.030 x 4"...which actually makes 408.17) and totally starting from the
> > ground up.  I am tired of bolt-ons that make a certain HP, I want to tailor
> > each part to each other part and get a good reliable streetable engine.  I
> > am planning on output being in the 600+ hp range.
<snip>
 I think with the right
> > tuning, I could get 650hp to pass a sniffer, but without OBD2 compatibility,
> > I'm not technically legal.
> >

> I think there aren't alot of people that could make a computer
> controlled drivable engine with the stock ECM.  I dont thing the stock
> ECM runs into limits, rather the sides of the injectors required to
> fuel things make the idle bad.   I am not really how sure I believe
> that as my 350 Lt1 is driving 30lb injectors just find and the idle is
> just fine (after quite a bit of adjusting).   I think the other issue
> is with radical changes you need to change more than just the WOT fuel
> table, you need to properly adjust the VE table for things to run
> good, and this takes alot of time to do properly.

<more snip>

There is a web site that has stories from a person/company that was
working to make 500 hp emission legal Vettes.  I'm not sure of the
years, and I can't quite remember the name of the man, but the web
page gives a good sense of what it takes to make this work.  This
company was associated with race cars at one time, and maybe
suspension parts or work.  It isn't Ligenfelter or Calloway.  Anyone
have any suggestions?
Shannen