Types of differentials/Traction aiding devices

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Thu Jun 3 12:20:37 GMT 1999

Previously, you (C. Brooks) wrote:
> That's a good question. I don't know but to put a little perspective on
> this...
>
> One of the club members has a Toyota truck with a mild 383, TH350 tranny,
> Dual Marlin crawler transfer case both with 4.7:1 gears, and Dana axles (60
> rear, 44 front) with 5.?:1 gearing, and 36" swampers. I've seen him use
> (Abuse)  this truck pretty hard. The final drive ratio in first gear low
> range is well over 200:1. That's ALOT of torque multiplication, and he's
> never had an ARB fail (YET!)

they are strong

> Having the diff locked won't make any difference in mileage.

it does, no road is straight enough and no 2 tires are exactly the same dia.
if I lock the dif the top speed does down and the fuel just pours into the engine

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8