Diff types

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Thu Jun 3 18:32:02 GMT 1999

Previously, you (Todd....!!) wrote:
> OK Jim,
>
> Must ask, what's hypoid gearing?  Sounds interesting....

hypoid gears are a special cut in gears that allows the pinion to
be on a different plane then the crown. older cars the pinion went
straight into the middle of the axle ( as veiwed form the side). That
made high tunnels in the floor

I'll try some ascii art

                ____
               /    \   crown
pinion  =====>(  +   )
               \    /
                ---

hypoid is:

               -----
              /     \
             (   +   )
pinion ======>\     /
               ----

it's hard to get a circle in ascii. The big problem with a hypoid gearset
is the gears slide into mesh ( wasted friction)

next time you look at a pinion gear look at how the teeth are curved that is
the hypoid cut

hope that helps

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8