Cranks

A70Duster at aol.com A70Duster at aol.com
Fri Jun 4 16:00:05 GMT 1999

In a message dated 6/4/1999 5:28:26 AM Mountain Daylight Time, AL8001 at aol.com
writes:

<< >A relative of mine builds Chevs & some SB Mopars
 >for NHRA Super Stock class cars, and he insists that
 >the cast cranks flex less, resulting for more accurate
 >spark/valve/combustion events from cylinder to cylinder. >>

That makes no sense.  Forged steel has a higher modulus of elasticity (E)
than does cast iron.  The E factor is used to determine how much "give" a
cross section of material has.  The only way a cast crank could have less
flex is if the cross section throughout the crank is greater than a forged
crank.  I don't believe that is the case.

See ya,

Mike