Non-diy_efi, dyno help

brucep at ptd.net brucep at ptd.net
Sat Jun 5 01:44:15 GMT 1999

This is a "you won't beleive it least you see it story" I was walking
through the "junk yard" today looking for some ignition parts for my pulling
tractor's ignition and I walked past this piece of equipment that looked
like a chasis dyno. Upon closer inspection I see it is a Mustang dyno and it
looks brand new. (told ya u wouldn't beleive it and I swaer this is for
real) I ran to the office and asked whats up with the dyno, I was told they
are scrapping it. It is removed from an auto testing facility that that
won't be used. I'm sure the guys in this junk yard haven't a clue what they
actually have.

My question is this can the eddy current unit from this dyno be used to make
a motor dyno? I can't beleive the sensors and parts that are just sitting
there. I am currently building a small waterbrake for testing engines up to
100hp. The eddy current and sensors can probably be bought off this "junk
dyno" for next to nothing. The junk yard is only interested in the value for
scrap thats all.

How does an eddy current dyno work? Does it work on variable voltage
applied? What controls should I look for to salvage? I'm going to head back
to this yard tomorrow and do some dealing and see what I can work out with
the owner. I was also told an additional part is coming in, I kinda figured
it would be the control unit. I figured the knowledge base of this group
would be able to help me save some this dyno from the scrap heap!!

Thanks in advance. . .

Bruce

PS told ya this was hard to beleive :)

            There are those that have, and those that will . . .