Metric essay

C. Brooks cbrooks1 at tqci.net
Sat Jun 5 13:52:52 GMT 1999

If you've met an American that doesn't know that 212 deg is the bowling
point of water, it's probably because he was too stupid to get on the right
plane home! (Good riddance!)

The point of the article was not "How to make a ruler" it was to show the
original thought that went into forming the measuring system. The references
are human references that people can relate to rather easily regardless of
the size of their waist (I'm sure they know somebody who has a waist size
that's close.) On the other hand to hear that the meter is based on the
distance between the north pole and the equator stimulates no recognition
whatsoever. The alternative definition of a meter (which I had to look up as
I couldn't remember the exact numbers) "The length of the path traveled by
light in a vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second." Is
no easier to relate too!

The basis for the units of measure in the metric system DON'T MAKE SENSE TO
AVERAGE PEOPLE. They cannot relate easily to the "Why" of the measurement.
Take the gentleman you met that didn't know the boiling point of water. Do
you think he could readily pace a 20 meter distance on the ground? Doubtful,
he's more likely to take 20 steps and go about 18 yards. He would try to
relate your request in metric units to his steps. And since it wasn't based
on his steps (Or anybodyelse)...  Well, I'm sure you get the point.

If we considered the metric system so superior to what we already have we
wouldn't have to be coerced into it's use by our own government! (Which is a
whole other can of worms we don't need to get into)

We don't have to come up with ANY arguments. What we have WORKS, and where
it doesn't we readily adopt something that does. This doesn't mean I NEED to
use metric units for everything.

Charles Brooks