Non-diy_efi, dyno help

AL8001 at aol.com AL8001 at aol.com
Sat Jun 5 23:10:53 GMT 1999

In a message dated 99-06-05 11:36:59 EDT, n5xmt at bellsouth.net writes:

>Does the IM 240 dyno use a single roller?
>If so, how do they smog the AWD vehicles?  My explorers manual states that
>for emissions checks, if it must be run on a dyno, a 4wd dyno is required.
>           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net

Here is the scoop on the Mustang IM 240 dynos.

The unit Bruce P is speaking of was designed for Enviro Test for the never
started,now defunct centeralized emission tests in PA.  The system is
currently used in Ohio but dosn't use the 4 WD system.  Full time 4 WD cars
are subject to a idle test only.

Each station in PA  had 2 or more 2 WD units and at least one 4 WD unit.  The
2 WD unit has ~ 11" rollers( two per wheel, 4 total)  a ~ 35 HP eddy current
absorber ( made in Brazil), 4 inertia weights ( three are clutchable) and a
variable speed 3 phase motor ( used to calibrate the dyno for friction losses
and to provide coast down emission testing).

The 4 WD unit had a larger 3 phase motor, 2   90* gearboxes, tractor trailer
looking drive shaft with a ~ 5 ft spline and a rear unit that runs on tracks
to accommodate different wheelbases.

The IM 240 test consists of mimicking a city drive and a highway drive
lasting 240 seconds.  As far as I know the engine is never subjected to wide
open throttle.  The inertia weights are engaged before the test is run to
simulate "real" road conditions.

Mustang is only slightly helpful since the dynos were designed for Enviro
Test and the software was written by Enviro Test.

How do I know all of this?  I was one of the people who bought a couple of
dynos when PA dumped the centeralized emissions test.  They are currently in
storage until I build my new garage.  Prior to the auction, Envirotest
crippled the systems by removing the gas analysis benches from the stations,
removing computers and dumping programs.

Harold