Metric essay

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Sun Jun 6 00:04:01 GMT 1999

On Sat, 05 Jun 1999 12:38:34 -0700 Aaron Willis
<darkmonahue at awwwsome.com> writes:
>At 09:55 AM 6/5/99 -0700, you wrote:
>.
>>And is not hard to relate things to example 1liter of water weighs
>about 1 kg
>>and it occupies an area 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm.
>
>	Actually a liter of water weighs EXACTLY one kg...one of the
>nicer things
>about the metric system.  One cc of water weighs one gram, etc...

No, it's not exact.  It's just really, really close.  I suspect that it
is exact at a specific temperature, but I'm not sure.

BTW, a pint's a pound the world 'round.  English units can be nice on
occasion, too.

I learned to use the metric system in high school chemestry and physics.
Now, I use whichever system is the easiest at the time.

This whole discussion is starting to become very similar to the "Newtons"
thread in the alt.rocketry newsgroup.  At least we don't have a problem
here with trolls and massively ignorant people.

Ray Drouillard