Metric essay

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Jun 6 01:24:18 GMT 1999

>> Aaron Willis wrote:
>> >And is not hard to relate things to example 1liter of water weighs about
>1 kg
>> >
>> >         Actually a liter of water weighs EXACTLY one kg...one of the
>nicer things
>> > about the metric system.  One cc of water weighs one gram, etc...
>
>> Sorry to be so picky but:
>> EXACTLY is a dangerous word. The density of all materials is temperature
>dependent
>> gases, liquids and solids.
>
>	Yes, when talking about standards you must remember to state that it is at
>STP (20 deg. C, 1 atmosphere).  At STP, 1 mL of pure H2O weighs exactly 1
>g.

BUT--isn't 1 gram the weight of a cubic centimeter of pure H2O at the
temperature _OF _ITS_MAXIMUM_DENSITY_?? (4° C??)??? (Thus making a liter
_NOT_ QUITE_ the same volume as a cubic decimeter!!

But I think one of these definitions may have changed recently too---how
droll!! (Another droll one from the trolls at ISO!??!!) :-)

I am not the least bit xenophobic or changeophobic--I just think that a
system of weights and measures should be a constant, not a continuing work!

Greg