02 Sensors

Gar Willis garfield at cyberlynk.com
Tue Jun 8 02:39:21 GMT 1999

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 07:34:44 -0600, bearbvd at sni.net (Greg Hermann) wrote:

>I too have heard this urban legend--but would almost lay odds that it was
>started by a Horiba lawyer just as likely as whichever meter mfgr Gar is
>talking about!

Hahahaha, yeah, now THAT would be a good one! Taking "turnabout is fair
play" to a bizarre extreme. Hee. Just spose Horiba first issued this
nonsense to diss the competition, thinking that with their exclusive
agreement with NTK, nobody could fight this bullshit, NOR prove it
false;... but INSTEAD of this one competitor trying to fight the
propaganda, they EMBRACE it instead !!, claim their sensors ALSO come
directly from NTK, and therefore don't suffer from this dread "richness"
disease EITHER, whilst all the while buying them from their local Honda
dealer. Bwahahahaha. Yeah, now THAT's the usual automotive
snakeoil/diss'ing I've become all too used to, only on steroids this
time!

Whada world, eh? The same guy that owns this well-known company was the
one that told me personally on the phone when I first started getting
interested in this whole topic (I mentioned this some time back on DIY),
that it would take someone 5yrs of engineering development to build
their own AFR meter, it was so 'difficult'. He apparently propagates all
these cute little myths to even his distributors, so he's formed a cadre
of unsuspecting dupes, all working to discourage others from hobby
investigation or entering the market, while he sucks contentedly on the
teets of his lil cash cow. Sheesh, whada shyster.

Honest technical prowess I can respect, but a major case of muddying the
waters to make them look deep, merits the "used-car salesman" warning
label, IMO.

Gar