10,000 rpm v8 (how about Pro Stock?)

.. rap at aci.net
Tue Jun 8 02:46:57 GMT 1999

Aaron Willis wrote:

>         I have to take exception to this...several prod. V-8s (BBC and Mopar Hemi
> come immediately to mind) were very much designed with competition in mind.

BUT - the race Hemi's (and race Wedges) were not available to the general public. You
had to present your competition license AND references that you ran in the top
percentage of your class. The famous L88 BBC's were more difficult to come by,
although you didn't have to have a racing background to buy them - but they certainly
weren't available to the general public. None of these engines would even start to
approach 10 grand on your tach, anyway.

The street Hemi's  were OK for Grandma to drive, and were a dime a dozen (in
comparison), but could hardly be considered quick; same for the run of the mill 427
and 454 BBC's.
rap