10,000 rpm v8 (how about Pro Stock?)

.. rap at aci.net
Tue Jun 8 03:15:06 GMT 1999

"Todd....!!" wrote:

> Then the 1970 AAR Cuda (AAR = American Auto Racing) (340 6-pac engine)
> And the 1970 T/A Challenger (T/A = Track and ? Don't remember)(340 6-pac
> engine)

The only Cuda's and Challengers that were factory built for racing was the
cars that were set up specifically for the S.C.C.A. TransAm classes starting
in the late 60's. Chrysler used after market cams, manifolds and headers on
these race only engines. The exhausts were hardly "tuned out in front of the
tires" as they were standard aftermarket headers that anyone could buy at
the time. The race Cuda's and Challengers were limited by the rules of the
day to  5 liters (305 cu.in) and had 2 4-barrels- not 340-6 packs. However,
the cars built for the advertising campaigns (so all the kids could ooh and
ahh) WERE 340  6 packs. And the non-competition oriented "dummys" (that's
how the PR guys viewed the general public drooling over the fences at race
cars) who ate all their baloney PR up, were buying the cars in droves - and
worshipping the ground they puked oil on....

> The SS Hemi's had a set of headers and glass packs in the trunk(Not
> installed!)

Wrong, the SS cars were unloaded right off the trailer from Chrysler with
the exhausts in place - I know - I bought a '64 Max Wedge (these came with
cast iron headers in place at first, then '65 and '66 SS Hemi's. Chrysler
left nothing to chance on the race only cars. Their cost to build these cars
was estimated to be in excess of $50,000 each (in '60's dollars) and were
sold at less then 10% of their construction costs. They didn't let these
race only out to just anybody as they were _determined_ to knock Ford and
Chevy down in the youth market by fielding some well prepared cars for their
ad campaigns - and it worked well at the time..
rap