Types of differentials/Traction aiding devices

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Tue Jun 8 06:29:26 GMT 1999

It will have some effect.  Exactly how much effect depends on how fart
the CG and roll center are.

When cornering, the CG will be moved towards the outside of the curve,
which will increase the tendency to roll over.  The fact that the top is
leaning INTO the curve will increase the driver confidenc and/or mess up
his "feel" for the situation.

Of course, having the CG above the roll center will also allow the CG to
move towards the outside of the curve.  On the other hand, it causes a
higher percieved side force (acceleration, to be precise) for the driver,
so he will have a better "feel" for the situation and will have less
tendency to overdrive the vehicle.

For the record, a motorcycle's (or bicycle's) CG moves towards the INSIDE
of the curve because the driver causes it to happen.

Ray Drouillard