stripping headers from archives

steve ravet Steve.Ravet at arm.com
Wed Jun 9 16:01:59 GMT 1999

> QUESTION: Someone mentioned that you could  strip the extraneous
> B.S. out of the archive files by bringing it into an email software, and then
> saving/exporting to a text file..

There are several ways to do this.  You can create a new netscape mail
folder, then copy an archive file on top of the folder file that
netscape creates, then netscape will see it as a folder, and thread the
messages, etc.

Or you can download the archives as text files, load them into your word
processor or text editor and search as you like.

Or, you can use an awk file that Chris Lucas sent to me that strips most
of the headers out of the archive.  Look on the ftp site for gmecm.awk,
diy_efi.awk, efi332.awk.  Download an archive and use a command like
this:

awk -f gmecm.awk archive_num_2.txt | more

This is unix only, unless you have awk for nt/95.  I'm trying to set up
the archives so that this command is invoked when you click on an
archive but it's not there yet.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet