Converting 351C to TBI..Try Howell

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Thu Jun 10 21:06:00 GMT 1999

At 09:47 AM 6/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Actually, at least in CA, if you do an engine swap, the vehicle must have
>either the emissions controls for the year of the car, or the year of the
>engine, whichever is newer.  You also are not allowed to put an engine in
>that wasn't offerred by the factory in that particular chassis.
>Once the swap is complete you have to go to the smog referee station to get
>it certified and exempted.

	Last I heard, here in CA, these are the rules:

1) Anything pre-1974 is open to do with what you like.  They are not
inspected.
2) In 2004, 1974 vehicles will become exempt; in 2005, 1975 vehicles will
become exempt; at that point, the state will test only (!) the last 30
years worth of vehicles.
3) Engine changes may only be performed if the engine is as new or newer
than the vehicle.
4) No (heavy) truck engines into light trucks or cars.
5) All equipment required on the engine in its original vehicle must be
present on the vehicle after the swap.
6) You may swap any newer angine into any car, providong you follow those
rules, and the car will be smogged as whatever car the engine came out of.
If you simply replace an engine with another that was available in that
chassis, it supposedly simplifies things a great deal and reduces your
likelyhood of a trip to the referee - apparently the smog tech can handle
this on his own without the state taking over.

Again, just the best I can remember - no guarantees!

	Aaron Willis
	ICQ #27386985
	AOL IM: hemiyota
	http://surf.to/garage-te51 Garage TE51 International