Not diy_efi....how to disable a computer carb

ARoss10661 at aol.com ARoss10661 at aol.com
Sun Jun 13 03:26:37 GMT 1999

In a message dated 6/12/99 8:54:51 PM Central Daylight Time, AL8001 at AOL.COM
writes:

<< Step one: don't just dump the electronic system without finding the source
of
 the problem.  It's usually less expensive and better to repair a existing
 system rather than building something from scratch.

 Step two:  Place a dwell meter on the green single wire test connector.
It's
 located near the carb's blue connector( Shannon, did the 83 Olds still have
 them?  It's been quite a while since I've looked at one).  It should read ~
 30 * at idle, I beleive the dwell meter should be set for the 6 cyl scale.
 0* dwell would indicate the ECM is forceing a rich mixture.

 Step three:  Pull the hoses off of the purge valve. ( Black plastic, round 4
 to 5 hose valve located front and center of the engine)  If liquid fuel runs
 out, replace this valve.  These fail frequently causing super rich mixtures.

  From what I recall, the valves were under $ 20.

 Harold

  Harold,

Thank You so much for the info.  Ill try this out tomorrow and let u know
what happens.

Man I love this group!!!

Al