Buick V-6, was Prowler V6

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Tue Jun 15 01:59:47 GMT 1999

> What make, model, spec of turbo and turbine did ya use?

On the Buick I believed I used two TE44's, which were way oversized for the
small engine, dispite all the porting.  This is why the power of the turbos
weren't felt until radical RPMs for the OEM block, hence, why it exploded into
tiny little pieces.  TE44 rings a bell.

The turbos for the 431 stroker B block are nothing more than junkyard "Daytona"
turbos off the 2.2L engine, which gives good flow under the 4000-4200 RPM
range, but max out at about that.  Since I want low RPMs and massive boost,
this combination worked for me.  Almost 800 HP and about thte same in torque at
a mere 4100 RPM.

> And where'd ya get it and fer how much??

I bought two complete Daytona engines, with turbo, PCM, manifolds, etc, for
$350 a pop, taking two out of there simultaniously.  I sold both engines for
$700 in the local paper to two seperate individuals, as "long blocks", keeping
the turbos, O2 sensors from both engines just in case, and some other oddball
parts that were "kewl", and will probably sit and rot in the garage with the
rest of the rot.

So, would that be free turbos?  I think so. :)  However, I spent close to 300 a
pop to have them rebuilt out somewhere in Texas, through my friend's body shop
who took care of it for me, with my checkbook.  I can dig out the receipt next
time I head up there, I'm sure its on the counter in the shoebox next to the
dyno with my other stuff.

> I was told that even if I ran TWIN t-1's that they wouldn't be enough
> for the 440!

Bullshit.  Well, maybe not.  That depends on your goal.  If you want a low rpm
torque monster, junkyard turbos can be had that will fit your needs, in a pair
of course.  However, if you want 20lbs of boost at 8000 RPM, you are creating a
800lb grenade :)

> Whatcha think?  (remember, I'll be turnin 5,500 MAX rpm so that's the
> limit of the flow, with maybe MAX 15 lb.s boost, naybe leave a tad bit
> room for more at a later date, all this WITH a BIG OL intercooler or two
> as well!)

5500 RPM and 15lbs should be doable with two TE44's without a doubt.  Its been
a while since I've tortured Garrett's help line, however explain your needs,
goals, and where you want your maximum boost, and by all means, garrett's shop
are the nicest bunch of engineers around.  However, you might considering not
being a prick at that point and getting free info and shopping elsewhere :)

> And ALL on from regular to 115 octane depending on the boost used....

115 octane?  Shouldn't be a problem, if you are careful.  Before you blast the
boost through your engine, break it in and run it to and from the RPMs that you
want to see, then when you are ready to add the boost, make sure you have a
"leak" in the wastegate setup, so that all the boost doesn't hammer in at once,
and use a pressure gauge on the plenum post intercooler, and one before the
intercooler, so you can see what's going on, and work your way up to max
power.  I made the mistake of not doing so on the first buick V6 I built (was a
FWD 3.8L engine actually), and the motor, upon its first break in, blew up
right away.  Dumb-ass waste of parts, labor, and possible injury.  Give the
engine a chance to work in before you hammer it :)

Temptation to push to the limit I assure you absolutely overwhelming.