Subject: Not diy_efi....how to disable a computer carb

Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com
Tue Jun 15 10:09:07 GMT 1999

I would still check the M/C solenoid. The solenoid controls the primary
metering rods buy moving them up and down at a duty cycle
controlled by the ECM and its inputs. My 82 T/A did the same thing your olds
is doing , running extremely rich. The Q-Jet runs rich because a spring on
the metering rods pulls them completely out of the primary jets. The M/C
solenoid when energized pushes the rods down into the jets leaning out the
mixture. The only way to bypass the M/C solenoid is to convert back to the
vac type metering rods if this is possible . Fix the carb or go to a non
electronic Q-Jet and non computer HEI, of course the ECM now has nothing to
do.
Don